After being lit in Olympia, the flame traveled by car to Athens and remained overnight at the headquarters of the Hellenic Olympic Committee.
On 23 January 1964, 16 relay runners took it to Hellenikon airport, where it left for Vienna.
On 24 January, the flame arrived in Innsbruck by air from Vienna. It was on show to the public in the Maximilian Saal of the Imperial Palace, famous for its balcony with the Golden Roof, a symbol of the city entirely covered in gold tiles.
On 29 January, a group of athletes drove the flame to the Bergisel ski jump. From there, it was transferred using a piece of Greek wood from the safety lamp to the torch. At the Opening Ceremony, Alpine skier Christl Staffner passed the torch to Josl Rieder, who lit the cauldron. At the same time, a second cauldron was lit in front of the Ice Stadium.
Start date: 22 January 1964, Olympia (Greece)
End date: 29 January 1964, Bergisel Stadium, Innsbruck (Austria)
First torchbearer: Dionyssis Kessaris
Last torchbearer: Josl Rieder, Olympic participant in alpine skiing (1956)
Number of torchbearers: Two in Austria. No total available for Greece.
Recruitment of torchbearers: -
Countries visited: Greece, Austria
Description: The inscription “IX. Olympische Winterspiele 1964” and the Olympic rings were engraved on the upper bowl-like part. The handle was conical with two bands.
Designer / Manufacturer: Ludwig Haselwanter / Anton Fritz
This was the first time that it was an Olympic flame, lit in Olympia in Greece, which was used for the Winter Games.
A single original torch was created. After the Games, it was given to the last torchbearer, Josl Rieder.
Two silver safety lamps with a burning time of 22 hours were specially made to transport the flame.