Anastasios Metaxas competed in four Olympics as a marksman, winning a silver medal in the 1906 double shot trap competition, as well claiming as five fourth places. He is better known, however, as an architect. He was chosen to direct the restoration of the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens, the main competition site of the 1896 Olympics. Funded by George Averoff, the stadium – dating back to the fourth century B.C. – was recovered by marble, earning it the nickname “Kallimarmaron” (beautifully marbled). Metaxas also designed various other buildings in the Greek capital, including the Benaki Museum and the French Embassy.