Notes and information for torchbearers
Torchbearers will be asked for their cooperation with regard to the following
1. Health management and monitoring of movement
- During the two weeks prior to the day of the respective Torch Relay segment, torchbearers will be asked to refrain from activities that may involve a risk of COVID-19 infection, such as eating out or going to crowded places.
- During the same two-weeks period, torchbearers will be asked to fill in a daily health checklist; this will be available on the Tokyo 2020 website in early March.
* If you have registered an escort, please also fill in the daily health checklist for the escort as well.
- If torchbearers feel unwell or suspect that they are infected, they must report this and consult with a public health centre or clinic as soon as possible.
- Torchbearers should contact the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee as soon as possible if they decide to undergo PCR testing following consultation with a public health centre or clinic. If the PCR test result is positive, they must report this to the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee as soon as possible and withdraw their participation. In the case of a negative result, Tokyo 2020 will make a decision based on the state of recovery of their health condition.
- For torchbearers who live in a prefecture, city, ward, town or village where a state of emergency or similar policy is in place at the time of running and plan to run outside of their area of residence, Tokyo 2020 recommends a PCR test or antigen test be taken within 72 hours prior to running. Tokyo 2020 will bear the cost of the tests.
- Torchbearers entering Japan from overseas will be required to follow the immigration policies of the Government of Japan at their time of entry.
2. On the day
- If torchbearers feel unwell or suspect that they are infected, they must report this to the Organising Committee immediately and refrain from participating.
- Torchbearers will have their temperature taken and will be asked to disinfect their hands in the reception area. If they have a fever of 37.5 degrees or higher, and their temperature does not fall after they have rested in the shade for a certain period of time, they will be asked to refrain from running.
All torchbearers will be required to submit a completed daily health check list. If the information provided is incomplete or inaccurate, they will not be permitted to run.
* If you have registered an escort, please also present the daily checklist.
As a rule, all torchbearers will be required to wear masks when not running. They will be allowed to run without masks if they keep an appropriate distance from others.
- If a torchbearer becomes infected with COVID-19 within two weeks of participating in a Torch Relay segment, they will be asked to consult a medical institution and notify the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee immediately.
If a torchbearer becomes infected with COVID-19 within two weeks of participating in a Torch Relay segment, they will be asked to contact the Torchbearer desk.
Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay: Orientation Video
This video contains precautions about running in the Torch Relay and important information you should be aware of before taking part.
All torchbearers should watch the video before participating in the Torch Relay.
This video contains precautions about running in the Torch Relay and important information you should be aware of before taking part. All torchbearers should watch the video before participating in the Torch Relay. To confirm the information in the video, please access the following link.
Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torchbearer Handbook
This is the torchbearers’ handbook describing the flow of a typical day during the Olympic torch relay and points for special attention.
Read through it, get ready and participate the torch relay.
Tokyo 2020 Torchbearer Handbook (Update February 2021)
Daily Health Checklist
Management of personal information
FAQ for torchbearers
We have put together this FAQ for torchbearers which includes useful information for spectators as well.
Updated on September 2020 toward the Olympic Torch Relay scheduled in 2021
Once the details of the Torch Relay are set and the “Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torchbearers Office” reopens, we will contact you with the details.
For details about the new date and location of your Torch Relay run, please wait until we contact you after the “Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torchbearers Office” reopens. Please note that we cannot comply with any request for a change in the date or location of the Torch Relay run.
Torchbearers were chosen through a selection process, and it is not allowed to assign the right to run as a torchbearer.
We are preparing to implement thorough anti-coronavirus measures so that everyone will feel safe participating in the Torch Relay. Specific details of the measures to be enforced are currently under review, and you will be informed as soon as they are determined.
After the torchbearers are selected
We started contacting those selected as a torchbearer in December 2019. But, we will not contact those who were not selected. Please note, however, that those who were not selected still have a chance if there is a vacancy two weeks prior to the run. In that case, The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) will contact you.
Yes, a torchbearer will be able to withdraw for unavoidable reasons, however, they will not be able to nominate a substitute torchbearer to run in their place. If for any reason you are unable to take part in the torch relay, please contact the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay torchbearers’ desk as soon as possible.
On the day of the run, you will be requested to present an ID. If you do not have a photo ID, please make sure to obtain a photo ID in advance.
We do not plan to hold any orientation sessions other than those scheduled for the day of the run. All necessary information will be provided to you.
After running on the day of the torch relay, an “Olympic Torch Relay Certification” with your name will be issued.
Yes, you may. You will not be able to use the information for religious or political purposes. It is also forbidden to use the information for personal advertisement or promotion.
For example, you will not be able to say "This product was made by torchbearer " and tie any product or service to the torch relay or torchbearer. You will also not be able to put "Tokyo 2020 Torchbearer" on your business card, poster, web site or any other media.
If Tokyo 2020 decides you are inappropriate as a torchbearer because your action damages the image of the Tokyo 2020 Games, you may be asked to forfeit your role as a torchbearer.
In accordance with the agreement you acceded to during your application and in subsequent communications, you are unable to take part in interviews prior to your run.
About the Torch Relay run
We will check your personal identification so please bring a photo ID with you.
It will depend on the location, but we will ask that the runners gather at the meeting point about 2 -- 3 hours prior to their run. Details will be announced about two weeks before your torch relay run.
In principle, torchbearers will be required to cover their own transport expenses to and from the collection point on the day of the run. This also applies to any fees incurred for accommodation by the torchbearer. Please also note that if the torch relay is cancelled on the day you are scheduled to run, you will not be reimbursed or compensated for any transportation (and/or accommodation) fees you have incurred. Thank you for your kind understanding.
Only the torchbearers will be permitted into the collection point (which will serve as the initial meeting point and final dispersal point at the end of the day). Family members and friends of torchbearers will not be permitted to enter designated areas of the collection point nor board the bus transporting the torchbearers to their allotted sections. In principle, after initially meeting up, torchbearers will be required to act alone. No particular places have been reserved along the torch relay course for family members. However, pre-registered escorts will be permitted to accompany torchbearers with an impairment throughout the day, including at the collection point.
We will ask torchbearers to verify their identities by showing a valid driver’s license, passport, etc. (see “Types of personal identification required to verify your identity”). If we are unable to verify your identity on the day of the run, it is possible that you will be disqualified from taking part in the torch relay. You are therefore strongly advised not to forget to bring a valid document that proves your identity.
You may not alter the design image of the uniform when you wear it for the run. Clothing other than the uniform cannot be visible.
We suggest that your wear socks without any brand logos. ASICS white socks are recommended.
Please wear sport shoes. We do not allow shoes that are not suitable for running. As for the design, shoes without any brand logos or white shoes made by ASICS are recommended.
You are not allowed to wear anything other than the uniform, including your own cap, shirt or pants.
Wearing special makeup is not allowed. Anything that implies a particular religion or idea. Facial painting is also not allowed.
There is basically no rule, but something too outrageous, like a wig, will not be allowed.
You can wear sunglasses, but not if the design is too flashy. You may be asked to take your sunglasses off during your run when we take photos or a video.
The distance will be about 200 metres.
The date or location cannot be changed. Please be aware that the torch relay will traverse through various areas, including islands.
You are not allowed to carry anything other than the torch. You will have to put away your smartphone or camera in your pocket during your run.
It will be possible for torchbearers to carry a mobile phone with them during their run. However, for safety reasons, the taking of selfies while running will not be permitted. Torchbearers will be able to take photographs when they are not running, but will not be able to take photos in areas in which photography is banned and in areas that may interfere with event operations.
There will be staff along the torch relay route who will provide support. We will not distribute water during the torch relay, but we will have water on hand for emergencies.
It is not necessary to bring your "disability certificate", unless you are going to use it as your ID.
You will not be able to change your escort on the day of your run.
If you specified in your application that you will run with an escort, there will be no problem. It is not mandatory to attach the torch to your wheelchair.
We do not allow the escort to hold the torch.
Yes, it is possible for visually or aurally impaired torchbearers to complete the allotted section with an assistance dog, if required.
In line with the age requirements for torchbearers, all escorts must have been born before 1 April 2008. In addition, the conditions regarding religious or political messaging for torchbearers also apply to escorts. All escorts must be pre-registered. Please note that any escort not already registered will not be permitted to act as an escort.
It will depend on the distance from the meeting point to the location of your run, but we estimate that it will take a total of five hours.
During the torch relay, you will run about 200 metres at the speed of 6 km/h or so. Please make sure to stay fit and healthy so you can run in the torch relay at your best condition.
NHK is planning to live stream the torch relay. There may be certain parts of the torch relay route that is not covered.
The torch relay will take place even if it is raining. In case of extremely bad weather or natural disaster, the torch relay may be cancelled.
It is possible that the torch relay may be cancelled or changes made the timing of thetorch relay on any particular day due to a natural disaster, bad weather, an accident,incident, or other unavoidable circumstance. In such cases, in principle, we will contactthe torchbearers at their registered e-mail address.
You can inspect the actual torch relay course, but you must observe traffic rules and regulations. If the route is not public but part of a private property, you may not be able to inspect the route beforehand.
About the uniform and torch
You will not be able to try on the uniform beforehand. The material used for the uniform top is recycled polyester, and the bottom is made of polyester (double woven fabric).
XS / Height: 157~163cm, Chest: 81~87cm, Waist: 67~73cm
S / Height: 162~168cm, Chest: 85~91cm, Waist: 71~77cm
M / Height: 167~173cm, Chest: 89~95cm, Waist: 75~81cm
L / Height: 172~178cm, Chest: 93~99cm, Waist: 79~85cm
XL / Height: 177~183cm, Chest: 97~103cm, Waist: 83~89cm
2XL / Height: 182~188cm, Chest: 101~107cm, Waist: 87~93cm
3XL / Height: 187~193cm, Chest: 105~111cm, Waist: 91~97cm
4XL / Height: 192~198cm, Chest: 109~115cm, Waist: 95~101cm
* The sizes apply to both male and female
Uniforms will not be sold. The torchbearers will be able to keep the uniform they wear.
Torchbearers running in March and April will receive a long-sleeve shirt and long pants. Torchbearers running in May through July will receive a short-sleeve shirt and shorts.
The torch is 71 cm long and weighs 1.2 kg.
We don't have a uniform for the escorts, but they will receive a bib to wear. We request that there are no brand marks on the escort's clothes and shoes.
About Olympic torch purchase
Yes, the torchbearers will be able to purchase the torch. Price details and how to purchase the torch will be communicated at a later date.
Please set your password by clicking “Click here if you are a new user or forgot your password” under the login button on the purchase site. Also, please check the “I am not a robot” checkbox at the bottom centre of the Register/Reset your password screen and move on.
Even if you have done the procedure on the purchase site, the payment has not been completed. Once you have completed the purchase process, you will receive an email at your email address that you were informed of this purchase site, and we will provide you with account information for purchasing the Olympic torch, then you will be able to complete the payment by transferring the money to us.
If you don’t know your password, please click the “Click here if you are a new user or forgot your password” link under the login button on the purchase site’s login screen and set your password.
You will receive an email at the address where you were informed of this purchase site. Please check your inbox settings and set @torchorder.tokyo2020.org to receive our emails. Please also make sure that our email is not being filtered as junk mail.
If you fail to login 10 times in a row, you will not be able to access the site for about 24 hours, so please allow 24 hours for trying to set a new password.
Please click “Log in“ under the “Your password has been set” message.
Please contact your credit card company for more information.
Please re-enter your torchbearer ID and date of birth correctly. Alternatively, please check the “I am not a robot” checkbox at the bottom centre of the Register/Re-register your password screen and move on.
Please check the “I am not a robot” box at the bottom centre of the Register/Re-register your password screen and move on.
You can make purchases under a name other than your own. However, if you are paying by wire transfer, please be sure to enter the “invoice number” issued upon completion of the purchase process in your account name.
No changes are allowed.
Relay dates and payment due dates per prefecture
Relay date: 25 March - 14 April
- Payment due date: 1 March
- Prefectures: FUKUSHIMA, TOCHIGI, GUNMA, GIFU, AICHI, MIE, WAKAYAMA, NARA, OSAKA
Relay date: 15 - 28 April
- Payment due date: 16 March
- Prefectures: TOKUSHIMA, KAGAWA, KOCHI, EHIME, OITA, MIYAZAKI, KAGOSHIMA
Relay date: 1 - 14 May
- Payment due date: 1 April
- Prefectures: OKINAWA, KUMAMOTO, NAGASAKI, SAGA, FUKUOKA, YAMAGUCHI
Relay date: 15 - 30 May
- Payment due date: 16 April
- Prefectures: SHIMANE, HIROSHIMA, OKAYAMA, TOTTORI, HYOGO, KYOTO, SHIGA, FUKUI
Relay date: 31 May - 14 June
- Payment due date: 6 May
- Prefectures: ISHIKAWA, TOYAMA, NIIGATA, YAMAGATA, AKITA, AOMORI, HOKKAIDO
Relay date: 16 - 30 June
- Payment due date: 17 May
- Prefectures: IWATE, MIYAGI, SHIZUOKA, YAMANASHI, KANAGAWA
Relay date: 1 - 8 July
- Payment due date: 1 June
- Prefectures: SHIBA, IBARAKI, SAITAMA
Relay date: 9 - 23 July
- Payment due date: 16 June
- Prefectures: TOKYO
A wire transfer is available only for those who currently live in Japan.
Torch kiss pose recommended by Tokyo 2020
The torchbearer will give the torch to the next torchbearer at the “torch kissing point” and will make a torch kiss pose as they pass on the flame.
The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) has created three kinds of torch kiss pose that express the Tokyo 2020 Torch Relay concept, “Hope Lights Our Way”.
The official Torch Relay Ambassadors, as well as Olympians Saori Yoshida and Mizuki Noguchi, are helping us promote the torch kiss pose. See the images and video in which they are featured and find the pose that is best for you!
Documents for torchbearers
Information on the Regulations for Wearing the Torchbearer Uniform, Consent Form for Under 18, Supporting devices to hold the Torch.
Basic conditions regarding applications to become a torchbearer
- Applicants must be born on or before 1 April 2008. The consent of a parent or guardian is required for those who will be age 17 or under on 1 March 2021 (the first day of the month in which the torch relay will start).
- Applicants must have a personal connection to the leg of the tour in which they wish to act as a torchbearer (i.e. persons who currently reside or previously resided in the prefecture, persons currently belonging to a school or workplace in the prefecture, persons with family or relatives residing in the prefecture, persons previously active in the prefecture in which they wish to act as a torchbearer, etc.)
- Any nationality and gender will be accepted.
- Applicants must be able to carry the torch safely of their own volition. However, the support of a guide runner will be permitted as needed.
- Those applying with the objective of communicating a political or religious message will not be accepted as a torchbearer.
- Those who serve as a public officer under the Public Offices Election Act (member of Diet and/or member or head of a local government), a candidate or prospective candidate of a public office, and a leader or those in a position equivalent to a leader of a political party/organisation will not be accepted as a torchbearer.
- A religious figure will not be accepted as a torchbearer in recognition of his/her religious achievements.