The role of the Women in Sport Commission is to advise the IOC Session, the IOC Executive Board and the IOC President on the development and implementation of the IOC women and sport policy and to promote equal opportunities for girls and women to participate in, and benefit from sport and physical activity.
The responsibilities of the Women in Sport Commission are to advise on:
- The development and implementation of an IOC women in sport strategy;
- Advocacy for increased participation of women athletes in the Olympic programme and in leadership positions in the Olympic Movement, promoting the rights and well-being of women and girls in and through sport and greater access to sport for girls and women;
- Recognition of achievements of individuals and organisations promoting women in and through sport, including through the Women and Sport Award;
- Development and dissemination of IOC’s position on women and sport issues, and monitoring and regularly reporting on the progress of the Olympic Movement in meeting gender equality;
- Promotion of the use of sport as a tool for gender equality and empowerment and raising awareness of harassment and abuse in sport;
- Supporting the development of women’s skills in management and leadership within the Olympic Movement, including through training, seminars, workshops and mentoring;
- Support of local projects benefiting girls and women, including through providing grants for IOC women and sport awardees to implement identified projects.
The Women in Sport Commission is supported by the Corporate and Sustainable Development Department.
The members of the IOC Women in Sport Commission constitute a diverse group of men and women representing different areas of the Olympic Movement. The IOC relies on their expertise, networks and influence to mainstream gender equality measures or promote specific policies on the international sports agenda. As an advisory body of the IOC Executive Board, the Women in Sport Commission benefits from the services and secretarial support of the IOC administration.
The Commission members are elected for a period of four years, and meet once per year. The members are listed below.
- Princess Reema BANDAR AL-SAUD
- Marisol CASADO
- Ingmar DE VOS
- Ivo FERRIANI
- Aïcha GARAD ALI
- Stefan HOLM
- Robin E. MITCHELL
- Tricia SMITH_T
- Morinari WATANABE
- Hayat Bint Abdulaziz ALKHALIFA
- Helen BROWNLEE
- Marijke FLEUREN
- Sarah KEANE
- Barbara KENDALL, MBE
- Jozef LIBA
- Gabriela MATUS
- Phumzile MLAMBO-NGCUKA
- Michèle MOUTON
- Niels NYGAARD
- Sandra OSBORNE
- Barbara SLATER
- Ana Maria STRATU
- Dagim Zinabu TEKLE
- Maria TOOPAKAI WAZIR
- Allison TUMMON
- Rita VAN DRIEL
Director in charge
- Director of Corporate and Sustainable Development