Your source of reference for Olympic knowledge
The IOC Olympic Studies Centre is the world source of reference for Olympic knowledge. Our mission is to share this knowledge with professionals and researchers through providing information, giving access to our unique collections, enabling research and stimulating intellectual exchange.
As part of the IOC, we are uniquely placed to collect and share the most up-to-date and accurate information on Olympism. Our collections include the IOC archives, the official publications of the IOC and the Organising Committee of the Olympic Games as well as books, articles and journals. Our resources cover all the key themes related to the Olympic Games and the Olympic Movement and their place within society. Click here to explore the Olympic World Library.
Here to help
Whatever your interest in the Olympic Movement – academic or professional – we will help you find the information you need, quickly and easily. We’re here to:
- Answer your questions: share factual and historical information, Games results and statistics
- Give personalised guidance: help you find what you need in our extensive library and archives
- Lend you books and publications, even internationally
- Give you online access: to our electronic documents
- Award research grants: to PhD students and established researchers
- Connect you to our network: of academics experts in Olympic studies.
Join the academic community interested in Olympic studies
One of our key roles is to facilitate communication and cooperation between the IOC and the international academic community in order to promote research and stimulate intellectual exchange.
This worldwide community is mainly constituted by over 40 Olympic Studies Centres and hundreds of individual scholars and university students working on academic projects related to the field of Olympic studies.
Thanks to this regular exchange and the work conducted by the academics, we enrich the world’s Olympic knowledge, share new analysis on key topics related to the Olympic Movement and can provide guidance to universities wishing to launch initiatives on Olympic studies.
Join our academic mailing list
University professors and researchers are invited to join our academic mailing list to be informed about our future activities and other updates concerning Olympic studies initiatives. To join, email us with a brief description of your academic status and your full contact details.
We’re open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, except on public holidays and at Christmas. You don’t need an appointment to use the library and the study rooms. If you would like to see the historical archives or need personal guidance to find your way around our collections, please fill out our visitor request form.
Can’t come to Lausanne?
No problem. You can:
- Explore a wealth of publications and documents on the Olympic World Library entirely devoted to Olympic knowledge: Olympic Library
- Borrow a publication using our inter-library loan service.
- Follow our news on our Facebook page
- Subscribe for our quarterly newsletter
Should you need access to images photos, videos and/or sound recordings for an Olympic and/or sport-related academic project, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the name of your university and your academic status and describing briefly the project.
KEEP IN TOUCH
We're here to answer your questions.
Phone: +41 21 621 6611
The Olympic Studies Centre
Villa du Centenaire
Quai d'Ouchy 1