Lausanne, 14 August 2000 - 680 Out-Of-Competition Tests Conducted; 1250 More Scheduled Before Sydney -

Twenty-five of the 28 International Olympic Summer Sports Federations (IFs) have joined the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) unannounced, out-of-competition testing program, WADA announced today in Lausanne. Fourteen of these IFs had to amend their doping control policies to allow for WADA testing.

In accordance with these agreements, WADA either has conducted or soon will conduct 1,930 doping control tests, bringing the Agency 90 percent of the way toward reaching its goal of conducting 2,150 tests before the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney. The implementation of the other 10 percent of the tests relies on the willingness of the three IFs that have yet to agree to submit to the independent doping control program.

Two IFs, the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) and the International Modern Pentathlon Union (UIPM), have so far refused to submit its athletes to the WADA doping control program. Another IF, the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB), has delayed negotiations so long as to risk the implementation of a viable out-of-competition testing program in its sport before the Olympic Games.

The following is the current status of discussions with the 28 IFs:

Signed (25)
Under Negotiation (1)
Refusals (2)

AIBA (Boxing)
IBF (Badminton)
FIVB (Volleyball)
FIG (Gymnastics)

FEI (Equestrian)
IHF (Handball)

UIPM (Modern Pentathlon)

FIBA (Basketball)
IJF (Judo)

FIC (Canoe/Kayak)
ISAF (Sailing)

FIE (Fencing)
ISF (Softball)

FIFA (Football)
ISSF (Shooting)

FIH (Hockey)
ITF (Tennis)

FILA (Wrestling)
ITTF (Table Tennis)

FINA (Aquatics)
ITU (Triathlon)

FISA (Rowing)
IWF (Weightlifting)

FITA (Archery)
UCI (Cycling)

IAAF (Athletics)
WTF (Taekwondo)

IBAF (Baseball)

Commenting on the progress, WADA Chairman Richard W. Pound said, “WADA set two clear priorities for the year 2000: to implement a strong out-of-competition testing program and to have a role in the Sydney doping control result management system through the establishment of an Independent Observer. We are well on our way to achieving these two goals, supported by a cooperative spirit among the athletes, the IOC, the governments, the NOCs, and all but three IFs. This cooperation among the Olympic Movement and the public authorities is a very positive sign for the athletes.

“It is unfortunate that athletes competing in the other three sports may be regarded with suspicion as a result of the refusal of their international federations to participate in the program. This is an unfair burden for them to carry. I hope that the athletes themselves will urge their federations to change their policies, so that they, too, can participate in the Sydney Games without an unnecessary stigma of suspicion attaching to them. Such an action would demonstrate that they wish to compete with honor and in the Olympic spirit.”

Earlier this year, WADA announced its goal of conducting 2,500 unannounced, out-of-competition tests by December 31, 2000, with the majority of these tests, about 2,150, to be conducted prior to the 2000 Olympic Games. To date, WADA has conducted 680 tests. Another 1,250 are scheduled to be conducted in the near future. Once these tests are completed, WADA will have reached 90 percent of its goal for Sydney and 77 percent of its goal for the year.

WADA is conducting its doping control program in cooperation with the IFs that have signed up for it and the athletes competing in those sports. The Agency has appointed the Drug-Free Sport Consortium (DFSC) to conduct the tests, which are being conducted in a manner compatible with International Standards for Doping Control (ISDC) and in accordance with each IF’s anti-doping regulations.

The DFSC consists of three national anti-doping agencies: the Australian Sport Drug Agency (ASDA), the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES), and the Norwegian Confederation of Sports (NIF). In order to provide the world-wide reach needed for sample collection, the DFSC has partnered with International Doping Tests and Management (IDTM).

back to top