The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today announced that Kornelia Marek, cross-country skiing, from Poland committed an Anti-Doping Rules violation at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.
On 25 February, Marek competed in the final of the Women’s 4x5km relay in Whistler, where she ranked sixth with her teammates. Immediately after the competition, she was requested to provide a urine sample for a doping control. The analysis of the A sample indicated the presence of the prohibited substance recombinant erythropoietin (rEPO).
An IOC Disciplinary Commission (DC) composed of Thomas Bach (Chairman), Denis Oswald and Frank Fredericks was formed on 5 March. The athlete made a written submission and confirmed that she did not request to be heard in person by the DC.
After reviewing the file and the written submission made by the athlete, the DC unanimously concluded that the athlete had committed an Anti-Doping Rules violation and decided as follows:
- The athlete, Kornelia Marek, Poland, Cross-Country Skiing
- is disqualified from all the competitions she participated in at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, namely:
- Women’s 10 km free, where she had placed 39th;
- Women’s 15 km pursuit (7.5 km classical, 7.5 km free), where she had placed 35th;
- Women’s sprint relay free, where she had placed 9th;
- Women’s 4x5km relay, where she had placed 6th;
- Women’s 30 km mass start classical, where she had placed 11th.
- shall have her diploma in the Women’ 4x5 km relay withdrawn.
- The International Ski Federation (FIS) is requested to modify the results of the above-mentioned events accordingly and to consider any further action within its own competence.
- The NOC of Poland is ordered to return to the IOC, as soon as possible, the diploma awarded to the athlete in relation to the Women’s 4x5 km relay;
- This decision shall enter into force immediately.
Following the disqualification of Kornelia Marek, and although the other team members did not commit an Anti-Doping Rules violation, the DC also decided that:
- the Polish team, composed of Kornelia Marek, Justyna Kowalczyk, Paulina Maciuszek and Sylwia Jaskowiec, is disqualified from the Women’s 4x5 km relay event in which it had placed 6th, and that
- the Polish team, composed of Kornelia Marek and Sylwia Jaskowiec, is disqualified from the team sprint relay free event, where it had placed 9th.
The full decisions follow.
For more information, please contact the IOC Communications Department:
Tel: +41 21 621 6000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our web site at www.olympic.org
Broadcast quality videos can be accessed and downloaded for free: click here
For an extensive selection of photos available shortly after each event, please follow us on flickr.
To request archive photos and footage, please contact our Images team at: email@example.com
For up-to-the-minute information on the IOC and regular updates, please follow us on Twitter and Facebook.