USA diving star David Boudia set to face latest challenge after contracting COVID-19

The London 2012 Olympic gold medallist admits that he underestimated the virus, but is accepting the challenge ahead of his fourth Olympic Games in Tokyo.

By Andrew Binner
Picture by 2016 Getty Images

Diving Olympic gold medallist David Boudia said overcoming COVID-19 will be his latest challenge.

The American has recently contracted the virus and revealed the news during a U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee virtual media summit on Friday, 9 April.

“Adversity, that’s your best friend as an athlete. If you can train through this, then the Olympics should be a breeze. You just do your job there,” Boudia said.

“I was out cold Monday to Tuesday. I was probably like maybe an hour or two.”

Boudia admitted that the diagnosis was a wake-up call, having previously not given the virus enough respect.

“I wasn’t a believer. I was like, I’m young, I probably won’t get it, or if I do get it I probably won’t have anything,” he continued. “It's definitely not a joke.”

The 31-year-old, who won gold at the London 2012 Olympics, also revealed that his wife and daughter tested negative.

Moving forward, he wants to treat this latest obstacle like any other challenge he has had to overcome over the past two years.

"We all go with the ups and downs and we'll figure out what the training looks like later."

In the past Boudia opened up on his struggles with depression and anxiety, documented in the Olympic Channel series 'What Moves Me'.

In February 2018 he suffered a concussion and that incident made him switch from the 10m platform to the 3m springboard event.

New dates released for Diving World Cup

However there is some good news for Boudia.

The FINA Diving World Cup has been rescheduled for 1-6 May, meaning that he will have more time to recover before the event.

The competition - which will also serve as the official Olympic test event at the Tokyo Aquatic Centre - was originally scheduled for 18-23 April.

But it was subsequently cancelled last week, due to governing body FINA’s concerns over inadequate COVID local safety measures to protect athletes.

Those differences seem to have now been worked out.

“FINA takes the opportunity to express its gratitude to the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, Japanese Government and the IOC for their commitment to confirming the arrangements for the events and once more reiterates its confidence on a very successful staging of the Olympic Games this summer in Tokyo,” FINA announced in a press release. “The Government of Japan, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and local governments across Japan continue to work together to jointly address the COVID-19 situation and ensure the safety and security of all competitors.”

The USA Diving team trials in 2020 were cancelled due to the pandemic, meaning that the athletes selected in 2019, including Boudia, will automatically be elected again in 2021.